Saturday, September 19, 2015

My Leader

I hope my boys are leaders and not followers. As a third grader, Robbie can now be voted into Student Council. Pretty much every student tries to get it. Well, Robbie wasn't interested; not because he didn't think it would be cool, but because he didn't want to have give a speech. And...what if he didn't win?

Well, the students had a couple weeks to prepare their speeches. The morning of the elections, I told Robbie, "If you don't want to do it because it isn't something you're interested in, that's one thing, but if you aren't running because you're afraid of failure, that's not an acceptable excuse."

He realized I was right, and sat down and wrote his speech. This is it: "I think that I would be good a this because I am organized and that would be good for class store. I've also learned to be a leader by going to cub scouts and being the captin on my soccer team. Thats why I think that I would be good as a member of student council." It did the trick. He won!

A few weeks later, his soccer teams was playing their rivals. It was horrible! They were down by three and there were only 6 minutes left in the game. It didn't look pretty. But then something happened...it was like the entire team caught on fire! This is the email the coach sent out to the parents:
I asked my boys what started the transformation during the second half?  Something must have happened as the video shows most of the second half was being played in our side of the field.  The moment everything changed was documented by Stosh.  Stosh said that right after the Tornadoes scored their 6th goal, Robbie was coming back and picked up the ball that Bleu threw to him after pulling it out of the goal.  Robbie and Stosh were briefly walking together and Robbie turned to Stosh and said, "Time to go get them now!"  You can see the exchange at time 41:18 on the video (BTW Stosh said this happened BEFORE he saw the video).  Kudos to Robbie!  Robbie showed true leadership at a time when it was needed.  He did not give up and he told other players to go with him.  That is what this game, and life, is all about"

We won 7 to 6, scoring 4 goals; Robbie scored the winning goal 15 seconds before the game whistle sounded.  Atta boy!

No comments: