Friday, February 5, 2010

Basketball

It's interwoven in his tissues: Rob LOVES sports. It drives me nuts sometimes (like the other night when he was watching college wrestling), but it really is a part of him. Well, of course, he joined the ward basketball team and the boys were his biggest fans! They loved going to the games. That is until last week, when some guy thought he was playing for the NBA Championship and knocked out Rob's kneecap. It isn't the first time, or even the second. He's been dealing with it for about 10 years now. He's gone to three orthopedists (who all blew him off) and physical therapy for 4 years (this is all during his football years). Well, after Rob's ortho unit in school, he self-diagnosed himself. Yesterday he went to another orthopedist (one he is going to shadow, actually) and told him he had patellofemeral pain syndrome and all the reasons why. He got xrays (for the first time...like I said, no one else took him seriously) and sure enough, Rob was right! He goes in for his first knee surgery on March 4th. Finally!

*Speaking of surgery--I had a cyst removed from my finger. It had been growing and hurting me for years, but I have surgery anxiety (understandably, I think) so I put it off until I couldn't stand it anymore. The doctor made me do it in the OR and under anesthesia (adding to my anxiety. It's just a little cyst, right?). Out of surgery he told me the cysts were dark, so he was sending them to the pathologist. I knew it...dying of cancer this time! (I'm a TOTAL hypochondriac.) Well, path report came back: BENIGN soft tissue hemangioma. YAY! Rob took the stitches out at our kitchen table (he tried to get Robbie to do it, but it was a no-go). No MRSA. No bed rest. All is well! Sigh!!!



Rob's fan base

3 comments:

Melanie Chambers said...

Kyrsten, I love seeing what you guys are doing. I am so sorry to hear about Rob. Those Utah ward sports. Craziness.

The Shermans said...

Men and their sports! They always seem to find time for them. Tyler is doing 2 basketball leagues right now... one for church and one for the hospital. Glad that your surgery went well. I've put off getting my wisdom teeth out for the very exact reasons. But I'm finally getting them out in 2 weeks. They are putting me to sleep too. I'm so scared. Looks like you guys are having way too much fun out there. We will be in Utah for 2 months this summer, so maybe we can stop by and say hi.

Kelli said...

Aaron came home from this game and was like "Hey, Kyrsten was there and she took some pictures - I bet she has a blog!!" Too funny!

Poor Rob and his knee drama! Hopefully the surgery will get him back in the game! Aaron has missed him.