Monday, February 20, 2012

Spinach

My kids used to be great at eating vegetables, but a little cold weather and a few holidays, and I go into some kind of sweet-tooth frenzy--baking non-stop. So, they've developed bad habits--either that, or they finally got word that kids aren't supposed to like vegetables. Regardless, it's been a fight the last few nights.

Ty used to LOVE spinach--eat it raw by the handfuls. Sunday, it was a battle.

Ty: But I can't eat my spinach--I'm allergic!
Rob and I both laugh.
Rob: You're not leaving the table until it is all gone!
A moment later
Ty: It's all gone!
Spinach is all over his chair--he's learned that throwing it on the floor is much too conspicuous.
Rob: You eat every one of those pieces Ty, or you're gonna get sick; and then you'll have to get shots! (It's a cruel way to convince them, I know.)
Ty seems to think about it for a minute, weighing his options.
Ty: What kind of shot? Just one in your nose? (He's imagining the mild flu mist "shot".)
Rob: No, the sharp kind. Now eat up! And don't you dare throw it on the floor or in your lap!
A few seconds later the plate is empty again. This time, in Ty's shirt. Seriously? Just eat the spinach!
Rob: Eat it!
Ty: I'm telling you, I'm allergic!
Rob: You don't even know what allergic means!
Ty: I'm full from my feet to my "frowt" and I can't "bweeve!"
Okay, this is just getting ridiculous. If it were Robbie, he would just cry, but with Ty, it's like a never-ending battle of excuses and challenges--he'll fight 'till the bitter end and it is quite exhausting. To be honest, I don't even remember how the rest went down . . . Popeye was of course brought up, and I know the spinach got too "soggy" from being rolled around his fingers and shirt and floor and he eventually got fresh new leaves to eat, which he did. But I sometimes wonder if it's worth all the effort. Some nights they eat in five minutes--others it 45 and just like this. Someday, they'll be grateful!

No comments: