Friday, May 11, 2012

God Loves His Children

Amazing! For months we have known that President Thomas S. Monson would be coming to dedicate the Kansas City Temple, along with Elders Holland, Halstrom, and Walker.(I was particularly excited since I have met Elder Holland a few times in Midway and Elder Halstrom stayed at my house as a teenager while my Dad was Stake President. No worries--I didn't embarrass myself this time by asking if he remembered me . . . hugging him at seventeen was hopefully the worse display of inappropriate behavior toward a General Authority--well, except for the time I hit Elder Wickman . . . okay, nevermind). Anyway, Robbie and Ty had been so looking forward to it. When they found out that they wouldn't be able to see him (only children 8 and older were allowed in the sessions) Robbie sobbed! Sweet boy. We prayed that he would have the opportunity anyway; we had no idea that it would be this intimate.

President Monson said hello to the boys. Then Ty held up his picture of President Monson. It was hilarious--huge ears and sticks for legs. Presidents Monson asked, "Is this a picture of me?" Ty nodded. "Such likeness!" he said enthusastically. Everyone chuckled; well, not Ty.
Then Ty said, "It's for you!" and handed it to him. A security guy tried to take it from President Monson, but the prophets said, "No! He said it was for me!" So sweet.



Ty's face here is hilarious! He was a little confused the whole time. He knows this is the prophet and was, I think, expecting a superhero with a cape or something instead of someone so . . . real.
I couldn't hear what Robbie was saying to him here, but I am surprised at how unafraid  he was to speak up.

He then took Robbie's sign that simply read: President Monson From Robbie. He read it aloud and smiled. Then he turned to take a picture with the children. Again, look at Ty.




For some reason this picture keeps loading this way, but turn your head--it's worth it. Everyone loved Jimmy (what's not to love?) This is Elder Holland brushing his cheek. "He looks tired," Elder Holland said and then continued to just say sweet little baby things to Jimmy. His wife commented on my sweet, handsome boys. Then Elder Halstrom pulled up the end and couldn't help but reach his hand out to Jimmy's cheek as well. So sweet, this little guy.




4 comments:

Sarah said...

Kyrsten, that is so cool! What a great memory and story for you guys to have. I love the comments that the prophet made and I'm so glad you recorded them! Thanks for sharing.

Nashelle said...

That is SOO awesome! That will be such an amazing memory for you and your guys!

Danika said...

That is so neat!

Laura Waltz said...

Loved reading this post, that is such an amazing experience. I showed it to my little guys and right away Easton was like "Prophet Monson!"