Wednesday, December 26, 2012

Establishing Traditions

We've been married ten years, and this was our first Christmas at home. Alone. Just our little family. And . . . it was magical! Rob and I are still soaring. Last night we decided that we will stay home for every Christmas! We can see family before or after, but Christmas is ours! :) So, it was time to begin our own traditions--picking and choosing ones that were important to us as children. 

For Rob, it was Aebleskivers Christmas morning. He remembers eating them at his great-grandmothers house on Christmas. So, since he and I both have Danish heritage--this is a great tradition. I used my family recipe and borrowed a pan from a neighbor--delicious! We coupled it with bacon, sausage, pomegranates, and clementines!




And, they got to open one present on Christmas Eve--pajamas! This is a family tradition I have always had. The boys thought it was great!
We made Pahklova (an Armenian dessert. I still remember brushing the butter on each of the layers as a girl!)
We read Luke 2 on Christmas Eve. (I still can hear my Grandpa Wilde's voice and my Dad's reading it. It was fun to hear Rob's)
Each stocking had an orange in it (my family tradition), and some beef jerky (Rob's family). Plus each child got his own bottle of Sparkling Cider (Rob's family).  It was amazing! I can't wait to continue to establish traditions; they are really what make this holiday so fun!

1 comment:

Laura Waltz said...

Sounds fun! I too love doing traditions we had as children, it's always fun to start them with a new generation!