Wednesday, September 10, 2014

Triathlons

Untrained, I ran a triathlon with my friends in June--it was like my summer of fitness--to prove I could do those things, just don't like them! :) We didn't want to pay money, so we mapped it all out ourselves (500 meter swim, 8 mile bike, 3 mile run). We had timers, and volunteers along the way giving out drinks--it was just like a real thing! So fun! Anyway, I was terrible! Pretty middle of the road with swimming and running, but DIED in biking! By the time I got to the turn around, I was exhausted and frustrated that I was pumping like crazy and not moving...everyone was passing me! Out of shape, yes, but not THAT out of shape! I had one the husbands check my bike at 4 miles--my brakes were rubbing the tire! He tried to fix it, but I was on Rob's bike and he could only do so much. Regardless, I finished!!! Second to last, but I did it! Still, it inspired us to do one for our kids. 
So, Labor Day Weekend, we did! For kids 6-8, they had to swim 50 meters, bike 1 mile, run 1/2 mile. I had prepped the boys with a story about my brother, Daniel who ran track. He had fallen over a hurdle during a race and was bloody and clearly not going to win anything, but he got up and finished anyway.  I think my little pep talk was inspired. 

Robbie and Ty were in the same heat. Robbie was first, and Ty was third! That is until Ty's chain to his bike fell off. I ran to help (Rob was on call) but as kids passed him, he teared up and cried how he was going to lose! The chain fell off two more times . . . eventually it couldn't even be put back on. By this point, Robbie had already finished first in his head (2nd overall) and rode his bike back to Ty. Discouraged and crying, he rode Robbie's bike and then finished his running portion. 
Tears filled my eyes as I told him how proud I was of him. He had been looking forward to the race for weeks; he'd been humiliated and for not fault of his own, but he FINISHED! And, he was smiling! It was a great day for lessons! So proud of both my boys--Robbie for going back to help Ty, and for Ty not giving up. They're such great examples to me.





(Their medals are wrapped up Bubble Tape!)

No comments: