Sunday, October 12, 2008

Displastic Nevi


About three weeks ago I had a mole removed from the bottom of my foot. My parents had always told me that wasn't a good place to have moles, so I figured instead of "keeping an eye on it" for the next 25 years, I might as well get rid of it. It was a week of pain and discomfort, but hey, it was only a week. Well, when I went in to get the stitches out (which, by the way, ripped open the wound again), I found out that the mole was a displastic nevi with moderate atypia; in not-so-medical terms: pre-cancerous! I went home and cried because I had to have another surgery, but I was also being overly dramatic and staring at my kids like I'd never see them again. I had the second surgery on Thursday in order to clear the margins. Since I ripped my stitches last time, I can't walk on my foot for two weeks now. The pain is so intense this time it wakes me at night. So sad. Poor Rob has to be Student/Mr. Mom/Homemaker/Cook all over again. Still, better two weeks than melanoma, right?

2 comments:

K said...

Sorry you had to have surgery on your foot. I think foot surgery is one of the most painful things. As I'm sure you know all of your nerve endings are in your feet somewhere. Glad you caught it in time though. That's a blessing in and of itself. It looks like you guys are having fun with lots of activities and getting ready for fall festivities.

Nashelle said...

Kyrsten...ahhhhh!! I'm so glad that you've gotten things taken care of...I'd be a mess! I know you're probably over the worst of it, but if you need help, please let me know!