Monday, June 3, 2013

Gratitude

Late May/Early June must be our annual season of trial. Our weeks are nuts anyway . . . practice, games, mutual, school (last days & parties), work parties/obligations for Rob, babysitting for friends and playgroups . . . but, in the last two weeks we've added more crazy to our list: Our air conditioning unit broke (second year in a row . . . at the same time), I broke my camera (thank you, Jimmy), I ran over Rob's cell phone and pager (right before his on-call), we found out about some health issues my little niece and nephew have, Oklahoma City tornado, Robbie had the the previous mentioned girl issue at school, my counselor moved out of our ward (so sad!), the check engine light on my car went on, throw in that I had to get a physical, Jimmy's sick, and Rob had to work 14 days straight . . . it was just one of those weeks (two in a row)!!

And yet . . . life is GREAT!!! A year ago this same time, Jimmy was in the hospital--none of us positive about his outcome. We were assured that it was most likely NOT good, so prepare. Now he's a bouncing ball of blonde curls and brilliant ocean-colored bright eyes! He's a sweet little cuddly boy, who loves to play make-believe, read books, EAT, and copy big brothers. A few years ago, I think that this week would have put me over the edge. Maybe life has matured me a little bit. I've always been amazed how I can call my parents in midst of my hectic storms and they are always calm; they can break everything down and put it in perspective while assuring me and leaving me with peace. I never understood how they could do that; I'm sure part of it is their personalities--they're just optimistic people. I think part of it is their perspective--the Gospel is central to everything they do, so the picture is much broader for them. I think part of it is that they are just my parents, so they understand what I need to hear to make everything okay. And, I think they are just seasoned with life experiences--making them my invaluable go-to experts!  Either way, I hope I can be like them. Maybe I am growing up a little bit (I didn't even have to call them since I never hit my brink!). And maybe I'm being tuned so that I can be like them for my children someday. I really don't know, but today I am just grateful.

I'm grateful I have three healthy little boys! I'm grateful school is out (well, Robbie is going to do summer school--it's like all fun electives like Sports Spectacular, Arts & Crafts, Spanish, Music . . .) and I can just enjoy all of them! I'm grateful for Rob. Next month is our 11 year anniversary. I think back on our dating days and first part of marriage--I swear I never really laughed! Our personalities just weren't the same (but how do you say NO to Mr. Gorgeous, right?). I am happy to report that we crack up everyday! I'm grateful that he works so hard too, and I have to say, he has ever given me wings to fly. He encourages me to do things for me--girl time, books, entertaining, writing, art, hobbies . . . he's never complained.

My AC is fixed (darn that freon leak again!). My car is fine (air in the gas tank when I put gas in it--no big deal!). Rob's pager was fine, just had to replace the case; his phone was totaled! Fortunately, Rob isn't someone who cares about image or convenience--I got him a $19 flip phone at Wal-Mart that he now uses (all the nurses make fun of him since their kids in elementary school have sweeter phones than Dr. Haas!) But, I can get a hold of him! All was well at my physical--my cholesterol was amazing, a complete shocker considering my diet! Thank you great genetics! And so, we are pretty much resolved. God has been good to me.

1 comment:

The Shermans said...

Oh, you always have an adventurous tale to tell! We have had our bit of bad luck too… phones, cars, and house problems. Laughter is what keeps it fun! I love your updates! Keep in touch.